Duo Patisserie & Cafe

February 11, 2015

French pastries + a good cup of coffee - the perfect duo.



Finally have time to try this place after my friend told me about it three months ago. Since then, popularity has skyrocketed on instagram and I even read their feature in Ming Pao magazine introducing the barista-pastry chef team along with the interior designer co-owner.

When I first walked in, I was immediately enticed by the aroma of freshly baked croissants! We were the first customers around 12pm on Sunday so it was nice and quiet. The space itself is bigger than I expected - about 20 seats, a middle section with tea & chocolate, and the main counter with the display of treats. Love the clean simple space - white walls, light wood and dark grey accents on the banquette, pillows, and mugs.

We ordered Almond Croissant, Apple Croissant, Lemon Tart, Matcha Latte and Cappucino for a total of $21. Then we added 2 Oolong Macarons at $2.50 each. And then after an hour, the Mont Blanc were ready so I ordered one to go, along with a Hazel and an '8' Pastry - another $18.



Almond Croissant - look at those beautiful fine lines! Quite buttery and flaky. I like the almond filling inside, wish there was more of it! And of course, I love the wood serving board.

Apple Croissant - I like the finely sliced apples



Lemon Tart - I never order lemon desserts, but the beautiful pale yellow with flecks of green caught my attention. While the shortbread crust was a bit too hard for my liking (but then again I guess it's supposed to be hard), the basil-infused lemon filling was the perfect level of sour-ness and creaminess. So simple, ended up being my favorite of the day.






Oolong Macaron - Not sure what Oolong should taste like, so this was just a sweet macaron with a slightly soft shell.

Matcha Latte ($4.25) - Perfect blend of matcha flavor and milk! Not too milky which I like!

Service is super friendly! They asked how is everything, very polite, would be lovely to chat more.



Hazel - Chocolate mousse on a fragrant, crunchy sesame base. I got this for my mum since Ruelo's Ruelo is her favorite. She enjoyed this one as well, but could do without the sesame as both flavors are very distinct and compete with each other with the sesame overpowering the chocolate. I think the sesame gives it a nice texture and roasty flavor, but it could be thinner for a more refined cake and showcase the chocolate more.

Mont Blanc - I usually don't like chestnut paste but I liked this 'cause it was very natural tasting. Inside is cream and some chestnut bits on a shortbread crust.



8 - Egg tart x pastry. I got this for my dad and it was his favorite. The pastry was buttery and soft!

All in all, I had a great time sampling the pastries, desserts and latte at Duo. I will be back to try the rest of the menu! :)

love the detail: shadow washroom sign 

Inside of Mont Blanc

You Might Also Like

0 comments